POSITION TITLE: General Practice Physician
LOCATION: Burnaby, BC
REPORTS TO: Medical Director
EMPLOYMENT: Salary, Exempt-Professional
To provide high quality, comprehensive, primary care services in a multi-specialty community health center.
This position provides coverage for patients who require same-day appointments and performs “desktop coverage” for all other PCHC medical provider staff. This position does not manage its own panel of patients, but may manage another provider’s panel for short periods of time as needed for float coverage.
PCHC manages patient care using a team-based approach in our interactions with patients and working to achieve stated objectives and outcomes
This job requires the provider to possess the prerequisite education and training to practice primary care medicine and become privileged to work at PCHC. The provider must work with a multi-disciplinary care team of physicians, midlevel providers, and nursing and assistant staff, and effectively educate, supervise, and support physician assistants and nurse practitioners.
Education and Experience:
- Graduate from an accredited school of medicine for M.D. (Doctor of Medicine).
- At least two years clinical experience in primary care preferred, preferably in community health.
- Experience working with patients of varying ethnicities, socioeconomic levels, and cultures a plus.
- Experience working with patients with complex comorbidities including hypertension, diabetes, mental illness, chronic pain, and substance abuse a plus.
- Experience using electronic medical records (EMR) preferred.
Certification and Licensure:
- Licensed as a physician in BC and in good standing with the medical college and Board. Board certified or board eligible in family practice. Active DEA certificate with no restrictions. Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
Specialized Skills & Knowledge:
- Full scope of adult and/or pediatric primary care.
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbally & in writing, with all levels of staff and patients.
- Ability to keep customer service and the mission of the organization in mind when interacting with clients, co-workers, and others, promoting a positive image for PCHC and fostering an ethical work environment.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality with medical information and conform to CPSBC regulations.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team in a fast-paced, medical office environment with frequent interruptions, occasional public contact, and occasional crisis situations.
- Must possess strong problem-solving skills and effective time management skills.
- Must be able to follow all PCHC protocols, including those related to clinic administration, patient care, and completion of timely chart notes.
- Ability to understand and respond effectively and with sensitivity to special populations served by PCHC. Special populations include, but are not limited to, those defined by race, ethnicity, language, age, sex, sexual orientation, economic standing, disability status, migrant, homelessness, seasonal workers, and the uninsured.
- Asks for direction when unsure of job expectation.
- Makes suggestions and addresses concerns in a constructive manner.
- Utilizes appropriate channels of communication in problem, solving and conflict resolution.
- Communicates effectively and courteously to all PCHC staff.