Surgical daycare allows a patient to return home on the same day that a surgical procedure is performed. Our state of the art facilities can eliminate the need for a hospital visit, may reduce recovery time and may reduce amount and duration of medications required.
Surgical daycare at PolyCan Health Centre may be scheduled within days after initial consultation. Your minor or intermediate procedure can be scheduled on your terms minimizing the impact on your work and home life.
Our integrative team approach prepares you for your procedure and home recovery. Surgical daycare patients often experience faster recovery, less time off work, less disruption of home responsibilities and improvements to both physical and mental quality of life.
Preparing for your surgery day
Please disclose all medications you are currently taking with your advisor and surgeon. You will be given specific instructions about your medications by one of our medical staff.
Eating and drinking Instructions before your surgery
Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your surgery.
The day of your surgery
The night before, or the morning of:
- Shower and wash your hair.
- Remove all jewelry, watches, and body piercing(s) including tongue studs. Do not wear any jewelry to the clinic.
- Remove any make-up, nail polish, false eyelashes, and wigs or hairpieces.
- You cannot drive yourself home. Your surgery will be cancelled if you do not arrange to be driven home by a legal adult after your surgery.
- A legal adult must remain with you overnight the first night after surgery.
After your surgery
- Follow all instructions given to you by the medical team at Polycan Health Centre.
- Call PolyCan Health Centre with any questions or concerns after surgery.
- Make a follow-up appointment after your surgery if instructed to do so.
- Please call 911 or visit the nearest hospital emergency if you are experiencing life-threatening symptoms.
PolyCan Health Centre will provide walk-in and urgent care services accessible to the community of students, faculty, staff and families living and working on Burnaby Mountain. Up until now there has been no access to general primary healthcare services within the community. The Burnaby Mountain community will also gain access to multidisciplinary services involving family healthcare & walk-in care, women’s health, surgical daycare, plastic surgery, sports medicine, ophthalmology, chiropractic, rehabilitation, acupuncture, pain management, preventative care and medical diagnostic imaging services.
PolyCan Health Centre will offer world class public health care services to individuals and families on Burnaby Mountain and surrounding communities. PolyCan Health Centre seeks to provide comprehensive services of the regulated health professions of BC.